Sunday 21 March 2010

Dream a Little Dream

It's monday, so that must mean it's time for another Queen Kat Designs Royal Court Blog Hop - Yay what fun !!  I am so happy to welcome you here as you hop along today.  You should have arrived here from Penny's blog, if you came straight here it would be a great idea to pop back to the start of the Hop on the QKD blog and just follow the links as you hop along.  That way you won't miss any of today's awesome DT creations.

The challenge this week from Queen Kat is to work with the picture over on the right for inspiration.

When I first saw the picture, the very zingy colours were what I noticed first, followed by the stripes and the rich plumpness of the pillows. 

For my card, I decided to go with the striped theme, although I have toned down the colours somewhat from those in the picture!  As my design process progressed, I was inspired to follow the picture quite literally and so created the impression of twin beds.  As the picture also made me think of linen and stitching, I decided to add faux stitching on my card too. 

I used ProMarkers, Copics and Spica glitter pens to colour this gorgeous mermaid in shades of pale blue and green.  This lovely girl is from the March WIS Kit - the monthly WIS Kits are available from the QKD Store.

As the overall colour scheme of my project is very pastel and pale, I decided I wanted to add a 'surprise' focal textured element.  I created this by applying some fabulous heart shaped translucent glitter, from Martha Stewart, to her tail and top.  I love the glittery effect and the way the light bounces off at different angles.

For the background I selected two designs of stripey paper from the 'Summer' double-sided pack by Three Bugs in a Rug.  I used the narrower stripe to create the impression of two beds, which I attached over the wider striped base layer.  I then cut two smaller rectangles from the same paper, turned them over to show the plain orange surface and attached these on foam pads, raised up as 'pillows'.  I added faux stitching around the layers with a gold ProMarker pen.

Finally, I created the sentiment on my computer and attached this and two small puffed heart-shaped  'pillows', both with a touch of crystal Stickles added then dusted with Glamour Dust, for extra sparkle.  The finished design shows this lovely girl lounging on her bed, relaxing and dreaming of ?... who knows what ..... or who!!

I hope you've enjoyed viewing my card today and I'm now sending you hopping along on your way to Steph's blog - I know she will amaze you with her awesome and inspiring project today, so have fun and prepare to be inspired ....  Also, don't forget that there will be another Hop tomorrow when the rest of the DT will share their creations with you, just start at the QKD blog and follow the links. 

Just before you leave, I'd just like to remind you that over in the QKD Store most stamps are on Sale with a 40% discount - how great is that?  As well as the new release stamps that the DT have been introducing to you with our projects this month, there were even more fabulous new stamps released last week.  Why not check them out and grab a few bargains in the Store before the sale ends on 31 March - an opportunity like this is just too good to miss!

Feedback is always fabulous to receive and I would be so happy if you left me a comment before you hop along today - I look forward to welcoming you back again next monday when we'll be hopping again!
hugs
wynneth
x

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wynneth! I love what you did for her "suit" it's fantastic!!

Nancyroo said...

I love the sequins! very nice!

Annie said...

Hi Wynneth! tis me!!! did you ring this morning? It's still a bit stressful here and not set to change for a while yet. I'll try to catch up with you soon. Love the card today and that mermaid tail is just fabulous!
hugs, annie x

Steph Ackerman said...

Hey Wynneth, love her tail!!!!

Unknown said...

Love that sparkle. Perfect for the image. Thanks for the inspiration Wynneth.

Juliet Diley said...

Wynneth! How cool is that! Love the beds and that is neat how we pick up on the same thing!!! LOVE her 'sparkle'!!!!! AWESOME!

Keely Livings said...

Beautiful card, Wynneth! The glitter is just fabulous.

Kimme said...

Love your little twin beds on this card. Wonderful new sketch!

Debs M said...

great card and i love the sequins!

Nina said...

Gorgeous! Love how you colored her and the sequins! Brilliant! =)