Thursday 9 February 2012

Craftbubble Craftathon 2012

If you've stopped by here lately, I apologise for not having posted for quite a few days.  I'm recovering well from my recent surgery, but the whole house is totally disrupted whilst the builders are refurbishing our ensuite shower room and fitting a new kitchen.  The work should have gone ahead before Christmas, but when I got sick it had to be postponed.  I'm at the stage right now when I wish we had never started it, but I can see the kitchen coming together at last and I know it will be worth it once it's finished.  They've been working on the two rooms for the past 3 weeks and I'm finding it so difficult without cooking facilities except a microwave.  Beans on toast for dinner for us this evening I think!  We have dined at our local pub a couple of time, but there aren't too many interesting items on the menu sadly.

I spent last weekend in Bristol meeting up with some of my lovely crafty pals who are members of the Craft Mad and Loving It group on Craftbubble.  Thanks to the tireless effort by my pal Kathy, the whole weekend went really well.  We all met up on friday, everyone arriving from various locations throughout the country and at different times but all able to get together for dinner on friday evening at our hotel.  The pic on the left shows us all unpacked and raring to get crafty in the hall we'd hired for the weekend.  Who would have thought that so much stash could come out of the relatively small amount of luggage everyone (well most of us!) brought with us. 

During the weekend we all created a canvas (thanks to Clare who brought the necessary supplies and gave us lots of helpful tips); coloured seam binding, buttons, dominoes, old CDs and glossy paper using Alcohol Inks (thanks to Kathy who is our Purple Princess of AIs); diecut and coloured shrink plastic and turned it into jewellery, phone charms etc (great job Cherry! your Art Journal is sooooo fabulous Dahlink!)  In fact we all had a huge amount of fun. 
I demonstrated the techniques I use with Copics and Promarkers to colour images, and in the background we had a couple of  DVDs on Art Journalling running and projected on to a screen.  I think we all learned a great deal from these and from each other and the different techniques we use and love. 

Here's a close up of my canvas, I used my lovely new stamps from Chocolate Baroque, stamped the images using Rich Cocoa Memento ink and coloured with Copics.  I distressed the edges with inks and after sticking on to the canvas, I applied Crackle Glaze and rubbed over gold wax medium to emphasise the cracks.  The other elements were added using stencils, stamps, copper and gold paint applied using the edge of a piece of plastic and old bottle tops in addition to the stamps. 

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my canvas, thanks for dropping by to check out my blog today.

8 comments:

Clare Lloyd said...

your canvas is just gorgeous wynneth! hope you get your kitchen sorted and soon. it was so lovely to meet you, hope to see you again soon. xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

I'm feeling your pain Wynneth. When we moved we didn't have an oven for a week and we thought it would be fine but its SO hard. Hope the building work is soon finished and of course it will be so worth it when you're able to play in your lovely new kitchen.

Fab Craftathon pics and your canvas is suitably breathtaking. You've done a marvelous job there.

Lx

Kathyk said...

Your canvas is simply GORGEOUS Wynneth and I love your "accidental" sun ray effect too. SOOOO pleased you were able to make it - enjoyed it HUGELY myself too.

I remember when we moved we were without a cooker for three weeks!! YIKES. When we had our kitchen done two years ago it was disruptive, chaotic ....... and worth it!

Good to see you managed to scale the mountain of "stuff" to reach grandma's magical pink machine!

Kathyk

Jayne Hayward said...

So glad you are on the mend and getting back into your crafting. I'm sure your new kitchen and en suite will look stunning once finished. Looks like you all enjoyed yourselves on your get together and love what you created.

Jayne xx

Debs M said...

great to see you posting, hope the kitchen finishes soon!!! love love love your canvas, gorgeous x

Lilian said...

Wynneth. Love the canvas and so glad you all had a great time at the craftathon. Hugs lilian

Cherry said...

The kitchen will be so worth the pain, Wynneth, although I am sure it's hell. Thank you for the kind words. We had such a lovely time didn't we. I loved wAtching you create your canvas, which I think is gorgeous. I also loved watching you colour, simply in awe of your talent. I hope you are resting enough too. Hugs a cherry xxxx

Glenda said...

What a gorgeous canvas - I just love what you have done with the birdcage stamps.

Glenda