Sunday 23 February 2014

Trying Something Different

Welcome to Stamping Grandma's little crafting corner, I hope you're having a great day.

Today I have a project to share with you which I've been working on in spare moments over the past couple of weeks or so.  It's now finally finished, so I thought I'd post some pix here on my Blog.

A couple of years ago I received a gift hamper with everything contained inside a wooden box which was made from rough wood and painted with mat black paint.  It was too good to throw away, so I have been using it to store various craft tools and materials, although it didn't look very pretty. 

Whilst clearing out my stash, I found a couple of very pretty paper napkins which inspired me to try decoupage.

 
I decided to alter the box into something pretty which I will be happy to have on display and useful in my craft room.  Firstly I applied a couple of coats of cream acrylic paint to cover up the black paint already on the box.

 
 
After the cream paint was dry, I used fine sandpaper to distress the top edges and corners, rubbing off the cream paint to reveal the black a little on edges where natural wear and tear would be typical.  I glued on a piece of green baise (which I'd also found in my stash clearout) to the base, this will prevent the box scratching any surface I place it on.
 
 
 
I applied pieces of the paper napkin, using decopage glue/glaze applied with a brush to cover the outside of box.

 
On the inside I added a small amount of decoration, firstly using a stencil and Treasure Gold paste to create a design in the centre.  I also brushed more of the Treasure Gold randomly over parts of the inside. 
 
 
 
Once the stencilled design was dry, I used Walnut Stain Distress Ink applied by brush to add further aging/distressing to the inside - particularly in the corners and around the top edges of the box where I'd previously distressed using sand paper, and across the grain to emphasise it.
 


 
The final stage was to spray the box all over with Crafters' Companion Spray and Shine - a light varnish.  Using two coats to seal and protect all the decoration, but still allow natural distressing to take place through usage.

 
I can't wait to finish the reorganisation of my craft room and put my newly upcycled pretty box on display.
 
Hope you've enjoyed your visit today, a different type of craft for me, and one I really enjoyed - you may see other decopaged projects from me in the future, now I've got the bug !  My eye is wandering over the house to see if there are any other items I can decorate - watch this space.......
 
Thanks for taking the time to drop by here today, I hope you find time for some crafting !

7 comments:

Kathyk said...

It now looks SO much prettier than a matte black box - well done on "upcycling" matey

Kathyk

Annie said...

such a pretty up-cycle job Wynneth, your DH had better look out or you might start redecorating all over the house!
hugs, annie x

Unknown said...

This is so pretty and I've been lucky enough to see it in real life - great upcycling Wynneth x

Debs M said...

ooh looks lovely! x

Clare Lloyd said...

Fab work!

Patricia said...

Beautiful, I love how you have covered that box.

Patricia xx

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Oh my goodness, I'm blown away by this. Love the daintiness of the floral focus. You must have an incredibly beautiful home.
Katie x