Saturday, 21 August 2010

A little something different.....

For those of you who don't already know, last weekend was spent in Bristol with the lovely Kathy and Lauren - two of my great crafting pals.  Kathy and her hubby very kindly allowed their dining room to be taken over and turned into a well stocked craft space!  After both Lauren and I arrived at Kathy's on friday afternoon, and unloaded all our stash, we spent a couple of hours ooooing and aaahhing over the stash each other had brought with us. 

When the actual crafting commenced eventually, Kathy opted for an ATC sized canvas and both Lauren and I chose slightly larger canvases to work with.  Lauren had also brought along a lovely stash of Tim Holtz stamps and some yummy mica powders, both of which I found far too attractive to resist!

I didn't quite finish mine over the weekend as I knew I had a few bits and pieces at home that I wanted to include in the design.  So, after a few days at home, I can reveal the finished item......

I primed the canvas with Gesso and used a couple of colours of Distress Ink around the edges and to stamp some of the fabby TH stamps.  I particularly love the 'drippy' butterfly which I stamped with DI then added some really yummy coloured bright orange mica powder over the top to give it a nice sheen.

The flowers were created using three different sizes from an Elusive Images set of stamps, stamped on various muted shades of card and cut out.  The sentiment was stamped on an additional scrap of canvas (thanks Lauren!) and the edges distressed with DI before attaching with Glossy Accents to the main canvas.

The lovely sparkly brad in the centre of the largest flower was part of Kathy's stash, but she selflessly donated it towards the project!  I painted some Rock Candy crackle glaze paint over the sentiment stamped scrap of canvas, but discovered that it doesn't crackle on this medium.  Oh well, we learn by experimentation!  I also added the crackle glaze to all the flowers, followed by a little Distress Stickles in Brushed Corduroy.

The gold half beads were from my stash and I added a piece of stripey ribbon which Kathy had kindly given to me, along with a piece of gold ric rac braid.  Finally, I used some gold UTEE on a couple of the corners, melted with a heat gun til just liquid.

My first stretched canvas project and I have to say I am pleased with it and will try another soon I think.

Thanks for dropping by my blog today, hope you've enjoyed your visit.



Lauren Hatwell said...

This is absolutely stunning Wynneth. I really love the gold on the corners for some reason but of course, its all beautifully put together. Lx

Kathyk said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm super yummy Wynneth - you SHOULD try another soon. I don't know which bit I like best but I do know I'm well impressed by both Laurens orangey mica powder and your gold UTEE corners. A fab project and a fab weekend.


Annie said...

ooo this is fabulous Wynneth! I look forward to admiring it for real tomorrow afternoon.
hugs, annie x