Monday 5 November 2012

Warm and Cosy - Happy Birthday Dad !


 
Today is my very special Dad's Birthday and I made this card just for him.  I'm so happy that I am able to be with him to celebrate today and hope to make sure he has a great day.

For the design of Dad's card I turned again to the yummy Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection set of stamps I recently bought.  This time I've used the splendid acorn image and kept my colour scheme autumnal. 

Firstly I stamped the image using Memento Tuxedo Black ink, then used Distress Inks in Scattered Straw, Vintage Photo and Crushed Olive to distress the whole layer.  I used a water brush and the same DI's to add more colour to the image.  I then added the image layer over a slightly larger layer of SU! Early Espresso cardstock and attached this over a layer of 'So Saffron' cut just a little smaller than the base card.  A length of dark brown grosgrain ribbon tied around and a SU! sentiment stamped in Memento Rich Cocoa ink finished off the design. 

I also handmade Dad a gift for his birthday, this lap quilt should keep him cosy through the winter months I hope. 


This is the first quilt I've made from pieces I cut myself rather than ready cut pieces and I'm so pleased with how it turned out.  It has an eclectic mix of colours as I used some fat quarters I'd bought when I first got interested in trying quilting, they all have the same design just different colours so I think I got away with it ! 

The design looks far more complicated and than it actually is to stitch, my inspiration came from a video I found on YouTube called 'Ten Minute Blocks'.  I find the 'Maths' of Quilting as detailed in all the quilting books I've studied a bit intimidating so I just jumped right in with both feet and hoped that all the pieces would fit together as they were meant to.  I can see where I went 'wonky' in a few places, but it was a great learning experience and now that I know what NOT to do, I can hopefully improve my skills on my next quilt.

I backed the quilt with warm and cosy fleece rather than traditional backing fabric so it will be more cuddly for Dad to use and will be easy to wash.  I did the actual quilting using a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine - it looks pretty on the fleece backing too I think.


That's it from me today folks, hope you've enjoyed your visit and come back again real soon to check out more of my projects.

6 comments:

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

I hope your Dad has a wonderful day Wynneth and I have to say -what an amazing gift! He is just going to treasure it. I love the fleece backing and how you quilted with zig zag stitch, such great ideas. How brave of you to cut your blocks yourself, I've not done it since my first and only one! I really want to make a quilt for my bed now though! Perhapps a Jelly rol is in order.
Oh and by the way -I adore your choice of colours. You are quite the versatile crafter, I must be a distant relative ;)
Have a great day...Katie xx

Unknown said...

That quilt is gorgeous and should keep dad very cosy this winter. Love the stamp you used on his card too.

Kathyk said...

The card is GORGEOUS (well worth buying that set for) and your quilt is a triumph - I'm sure his lap" will be warm and cosy for a long time to come.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me

Kathyk

Annie said...

wish your Dad a Very Happy Birthday from me, Wynneth. and I love the manly card you made him, along with that stunning quilt. and what a great idea to use a cozy fleece on the back .. .. I have always admired the stitch patterns on quilts and would be very happy with fleece both sides and the fancy pattern .. .. will chat and pick your brains when you get home!
hugs, annie x

Debs M said...

great male card and that lap quilt is lovely! Fab idea to back it with fleece fabric, will keep him lovely and warm x

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Wynneth

I am a friend of Linda H, just stopped by to say hi and admire your dads quilt it's gorgeous, love the card too. Linda and I are dong block of the month at craftsy although I am finished with my blocks and working on a gorgeous Lynette Anderson block of the month quilt.

K x