Sunday 12 January 2014

Sewing Machine is back on the Table - Yay !

Hello from a depressingly dark, damp, windy and chilly (ish) Cornwall - the weather's flippin horrid here today.  Definitely a PJ day I think and a snuggle under a nice warm quilt or blanky and a few nice DVDs or TV films to watch - maybe even 'hoover' up the last few of the Christmas choccies, just to tidy things up of course !  LOL

I'm happy to report that my sewing machine is back on the table and working now the table is no longer required for Christmas eating and drinking.  I made a couple of cushions from some very pretty and cosy cotton flannel fabric to ease myself back into sewing after a break for the Holidays,  One cushion for a lovely crafting pal Allie, and the other for her daughter.

Here's a pic of the one I made for Allie - she is a fan of blue and loves birds,
so this sweet and cuddly cotton flannel fabric was perfect for her cushion

 

I added batting and a calico backing to the front panel of the cushion and hand stitched around the outline of the birds in the centre of the panel.  This has raised them slightly against the flat background for a little added detail.  The cushion is constructed very simply with an 'envelope' closure at the back to allow the cover to be removed for laundering.


Secondly, here's the cushion made for Allie's daughter Caitlin
 
 


This one is just a plain, un-embellished, cushion - again with an envelope closure on the reverse.  The fabric is so pretty with the sweet little pink birds and will go beautifully with her new pink quilt I hope.

I have one more cushion to finish off and will share pix of that once it's completed.  It has a patchwork front panel and is one of the projects I've been working on for new home décor.  I received some scrummy 'homespun' fabrics as a Christmas pressie and I've been mulling over ideas of what I'm going to do with it, watch this space................

Thanks for dropping by to check out today's projects and I do so hope your weather is better than we have here today. 

4 comments:

Kathyk said...

Both fab but the little birdie first one is my fave.

Depressingly dank here too and got dark only just after lunch - roll on summer!

Kathyk

Patricia said...

Two great cushions, like them both.
The pink one is my favourite. I have not done any sewing other than on some cards. Maybe I should get my machine out and have a go at something.........
Been quite a nice day here but "freezing" cold.

Patricia xx

Debs M said...

great makes Wynneth! x

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Love these Wynneth. Cushions are on top of my "To Do" list this year. I want my couch to be full of colour. I love envelope closure ones too.
Katie xx