Sunday 5 June 2016

I've Been Trying Some Journal Pages

I've mentioned recently, I do find it's lots of fun to play with inks and paints so thought I'd start to do some journal pages rather than making backgrounds.  I bought a set of three small Moleskin journals which I believe are a dinky A6 size.  I reasoned that a smaller page wouldn't be quite so daunting and an ulterior motive was that I'd signed up to a journal 'round robin' which is using this size, so thought I'd start to practice designs I might use for the challenge before actually creating my page to then send on to the next person in the challenge.

I'll be sharing my early attempts in the coming days and, once the RR journal is complete, I'll be able to share the two page spread I added to it - wouldn't want to spoil anything by revealing my pages before the others have done theirs.

I'm sharing a page today which was inspired by the fact that I had some of the practice drawings of faces I'd made when I was making my three wooden spoon dollies.  It seemed a shame to throw the face away so thought I'd add it to a journal page.   Do you think it works ?


The background was created with Dylusions Paints, colours toned down by a final thin coat of white.  I then stamped images from the Paper Artsy Ecclectica ELB25 stamp set designed by Lin Brown - the same set I used on spoon dolly number 3.

I used gel medium to stick the face onto the stamped images before painting the images with the Dylusions Paints.  I also applied a coat of the gel medium over the top of the drawn face to seal it.  Once the page was dry I gave it a light spray of 'Spray and Shine' to seal everything.

I think there are some quick fun and quirky sentiments in the Dylusions Ugh! People stamp set.  I wanted to create my own wording so stamped a few and picked out words from the full sentiments to create something appropriate for my page.  I hope it worked !

As a finishing touch, I used a Black Pitt Pen and white gesso applied with a very small brush, to add hightlights and define some parts of the images.

Let me know what you think of my page by leaving me a comment if you have time.  Thanks for visiting today.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Fabulous! I love her cheeky face :oD Lx

Lorraine said...

I love it, Wynneth. Love how you do your faces. I'm big into art journaling too at the mo, but sometimes (like today) my mojo does a runner, lol.