Thursday 25 June 2015

I've Been a Bit of a Sew and Sew !

Hi there friends, I thought I'd share a sewing project with you today for a change from the cards I've been posting lately.

When I visited my local fabric shop recently - Soft Touch Needlecrafts of Tavistock in Devon  - I saw a lovely cushion on display.  I enquired as to whether it was made during a workshop or class and the lovely lady there offered me a free copy of the pattern and pointed me towards packs they'd prepared containing sufficient fabric and notions to complete one cushion.   It would have been rude not to have purchased a pack or two don't you think ? wink, wink !  Like I NEED more fabric !!

So, here's what I did with my first pack
This is the front

and a close up of the front detail, showing the quilting stitches around each
square and around the appliqued heart in the centre, plus the applique
stitches around the heart - all done on my sewing machine



and finally the back view


First job was to cut the fabric into squares and, using the template included in the pattern, cut out five heart shapes.  Then ironing the heart shapes to a piece of Heat-n-Bond and cutting out again.  The heart shapes were then ironed onto five of the squares to stick them into place.  I then used an applique stitch on my sewing machine to sew around the raw edges of the heart shapes to attach them securely to the squares.

Next job was to sew all the squares together into a block of nine squares to produce the front of the cushion.  I then took the square of Calico, laid the batting over and then the front panel right side uppermost on the top to form the quilting 'sandwich'.  After pinning the layers together I quilted through the layers with my sewing machine, sewing parallel lines around the squares and shadowing around the hearts. 

Adding a layer of batting and one of calico under the front panel gives a nice padded front to the cushion cover and the quilting stitches add further interest.  The calico behind helps to protect the batting which could pull apart with use and or washing the cushion cover.

I made an envelope closure on the back, creating pieces of fabric large enough by sewing together all the little bits of the fabrics which were leftover after cutting out the squares and applique heart shapes for the front. 

There was a length of lace and a metal button provided in the pack but, after trying them against the front panel, I decided not use add them as it all just looked too busy.  Instead I used a simple wooden button from my stash to finish off the front, and I have the lace and metal button in my stash for a future project.

The lovely soft shades of blue and beige are so pretty and all the fabrics go so well together, I just love this cushion.

It was a fun project to do and I have another pack in a different colour way to make another one.

Supplies I used:
* Fabric Pack from Soft Touch Needlecrafts
* Free Pattern
* Square of Cotton Batting/Wadding slightly larger than the front
* Square of Calico the same size as the batting
* Feather filled cushion pad
* Heat n Bond
* Wooden Button
* Applique Stitch on my Janome Horizon 8900 sewing machine

I hope you enjoyed today's project, do you sew ?  I'd love to hear what different types of crafting you do.  Have a great day.

3 comments:

Kathyk said...

Splendid - as you say, rude not to!

Kathyk

Clare Lloyd said...

It's gorgeous.

Annie said...

so pretty! sorry for not stopping by to comment on all your recent posts - been busy with garden, Mum, Izzy and playing with old stash at the back of the cupboard!
hugs, annie x